Early Bird Gets the Worm

Waking up early can be a difficult task for many students, but it comes with many advantages that can benefit them in the long run.

Getting+up+early+can+be+a+challenging+task+for+some+individuals.+In+an+interview+done+by+carolynschur.com+they+interviewed+Dr.+Richard+Coleman+who+studies+chronobiology+which+is+a+field+of+biology+that+focuses+on+timing+process+within+living+organisms.+He+has+done+a+large+amount+of+work+pertaining+to+night+work+schedules+and+devolving+shifts.+%22Only+about+10+percent+of+the+population+are+extreme+owls+or+extreme+larks%2Fearly+birds%2C%22+said+carolynschur.com.+%22Most+other+sources+state+that+intermediates+account+for+80%25+of+the+population+and+night+owls+and+early+birds+account+for+the+remaining+20%25.%22%0A%0A%0A

Olivia Gerhardt

Getting up early can be a challenging task for some individuals. In an interview done by carolynschur.com they interviewed Dr. Richard Coleman who studies chronobiology which is a field of biology that focuses on timing process within living organisms. He has done a large amount of work pertaining to night work schedules and devolving shifts. "Only about 10 percent of the population are extreme owls or extreme larks/early birds," said carolynschur.com. "Most other sources state that intermediates account for 80% of the population and night owls and early birds account for the remaining 20%."

The school day begins at 8:30 a.m. during Antioch Community High School’s 2020-21 school year, however, previous school years started bright and early at 7:30 a.m.. Waking up at an early time for school may be one reason why some students don’t enjoy school as much as others. Although waking up early can be difficult, it does have some benefits. 

 

According to Times of India, an Indian English-language daily newspaper and digital news media, waking up early can improve mental fitness. Rising early eliminates the need to rush through the day, which decreases stress and anxiety levels throughout that particular day and overall in life.

 

ACHS junior Annika Lindstrom enjoys waking up early to tackle the day and considers herself a morning person. 

 

Waking up early gives you more time in the day to get everything done that you want to,” Lindstrom said. “It depends on the day, but sometimes, I am excited for what’s happening that day so it is easier to get up and you’re looking forward to something.”

 

ACHS senior Heidi Wagner struggles to wake up in the morning and is more of a night owl rather than a morning person; however, she acknowledges the advantages of waking up early.

 

“I don’t like to go out anywhere early,” Wagner said. “I think becoming a morning person would be beneficial because if you wake up early, you can get things done and do whatever you want later on in the day.” 

 

Whether waking up early is enjoyable or not, it is easy to say that it comes with some benefits, such as an increased amount of productivity and strengthened mental health. Becoming a morning person takes time to get used to, but it can help a lot in the long run.